Helping Shop Owners grow into the successful entrepreneurs they imagine themselves to be.

On July 16, 2019 this site moved to www.autotraining.net/auto-shop-coaching-blog/. Please visit the new site for our most recent posts.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

How To Be Remarkable Instead of Invisible




How To Be Remarkable Instead of Invisible

By

Eric Twiggs


Are you remarkable or invisible?  As I reflect on this question, I am reminded of my experience at the Ritz Carlton Hotel.  I treated my wife to a weekend at the Ritz Carlton to celebrate our wedding anniversary.   When I made reservations for dinner, I mentioned in passing that it was our anniversary, not expecting any special treatment. 

Twenty minutes after we were seated for dinner, the waiter came over with a card signed by the entire staff wishing us a happy anniversary.   A few minutes later, they had a different waiter come over and present us with two complimentary glasses of Champagne. 

The next morning, I went to the workout facility.  Each machine had its own bottle of water and towel with it.    The following morning, we went to breakfast.  Even though I was meeting the new greeter for the first time, she said, "Good morning Mr. Twiggs, are you enjoying your anniversary weekend?" 

When I got the final hotel bill, it was MUCH more than I would normally pay, but because the experience was remarkable, I never thought to question the price.

 In that moment, I realized the following truth:  if you aren’t remarkable, you’re invisible.

What’s remarkable about your shop?   Are your customers writing blogs to their clients talking about you and your service?

I know what you’re thinking: “Eric, my shop stands out because we’ve been in business for twenty years, have trained technicians, and fix cars right the first time.”  Please don’t confuse doing the minimum with being remarkable!

For example, I’ll bet you’ve never written a five star Google review for an airline company that read: “They got me to my destination safely without losing my luggage!”   This is the minimum you would expect from your travels.    The starting point of being remarkable is to EXCEED what the customer is expecting.

 So what can you do to create memorable moments at your shop?  Keep reading and you will learn two ideas to help you stand out.

Have A Shop Meeting

At your next shop meeting, ask your team to tell you what they believe is remarkable about the experience you provide to your customers.    The goal is to get them to understand the difference between the minimum vs. the exceptional.   

Next, use a white board to brainstorm specific ideas to deliver remarkable service.  Below are some examples you can use to get the conversations going: 


  •     Send handwritten thank you notes to your customers instead of just the automated       thank you card.
  •     Make “thank you” calls to every customer and not just the top spenders.
  •     Provide welcome gifts to new customers.
  •     Leave a parting gift inside the car after the service. 

Decide To Be Different
 

Here is a critical tip: Find out what the other shops in your area are doing, AND DON’T DO IT!!  Being just like every other shop is a recipe for invisibility.  

For example, one of our clients named Jim found out that his competitors sent automated thank you cards to their customers.  Jim started leaving carnations on the front seat along with a thank you note to every female customer.  His decision to be different resulted in an increase in referrals and a decrease in one time visitors!

The times we live in make it easy to observe your competition.  Pay attention to their websites, internet reviews, and what they communicate on social media.   Calling them on the phone in the role of a customer,will also provide you with the necessary information. 

  
Conclusion


So there you have it.  Having the shop meeting, and deciding to be different will give you the necessary ideas to move from invisible to remarkable! 

I was willing to pay more at the Ritz Carlton, because of the amazing service I received.  I am also sharing the story over the internet.   If you implement these ideas, your customers will pay you more and talk about you online as well!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, good or bad, are always welcome.....If you have something to share to can help others please jump in..