Helping Shop Owners grow into the successful entrepreneurs they imagine themselves to be.

On July 16, 2019 this site moved to www.autotraining.net/auto-shop-coaching-blog/. Please visit the new site for our most recent posts.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

How To Bounce Back From Your Setback

How To Bounce Back From Your Setback

By

Eric M. Twiggs




                                           

                                            “Your setback is a setup for a comeback” Dr. Willie Jolley


So, there I was, managing a $3.5 million-dollar shop in Largo Maryland.  For three months, I had a pressing need to hire another technician. While my colleagues and competitors complained about car count, I struggled to get the cars out that I had!  But things were about to change, because “Steve” had just accepted my offer to become the “A” Technician. 

Steve graduated of Lincoln Tech, had all the industry certifications, and had a following of customers that he promised to send my way.   He passed his drug test and background check with flying colors.  During the reference checks, Steve’s previous employers told me they would hire him back in a heartbeat.  I was looking forward to having him on my team. 

Two weeks later he reported to work.  I watched him during the morning shift as he completed several jobs under book time.  As he clocked out and went to lunch, I patted myself on the back for making such a great hire. 

Two hours later, my assistant manager asked the following question that changed my mood: “Do you know where Steve is?”  Later, at 5:00pm, we were still asking the same question.   Steve never came back from his lunch break!  What a setback!

Whenever “Joe” my district manager, asked about my technician staffing levels, I would remind him about Steve’s extended break.   Joe seemed to get annoyed each time, and I didn’t know why. 

Then I read the following quote from the book Grit  by Angela Duckworth that gave me the answer: “Don’t let a temporary setback become a permanent excuse.”   For me, Losing Steve had become a permanent excuse.

Have you been allowing a temporary setback to become a permanent excuse?  This mentality will make it harder for you to bounce back.  The key to making a comeback is to embrace an ALWAYS mindset. 

The owner with the “always mindset”, is always preparing for the worst-case scenario.  Anticipating a possible setback gives you the opportunity to bounce back faster, and may prevent the setback from occurring.    Below are two areas of the shop where you can apply this mentality. 


ALWAYS Be Hiring

Every week I communicate with a shop leader who calls me in a panic because of the surprise resignation of their best employee.    In most cases, these leaders rejected the idea of “always be hiring” when it was initially presented to them. 

The most consistent concerns I hear are as follows: “What do I say to people, I don’t want to hire?”; “What will my current employees think?”; and “Will my customers lose confidence in us if I post a hiring sign?”  Instead of voicing these concerns consider the following question:   If today, your best employee takes a lunch break that lasts a lifetime, how long would it take you to bounce back?   

That uneasy feeling in the pit of your stomach is confirmation that you should always be hiring.  When you find a great candidate, ask her about the other great people she knows. 

Once she accepts your offer, continue to refresh your ads and keep your hiring signs in place.  Over time, this will give you an extensive list of candidates to contact if you had to fill a sudden opening.   

Many great candidates are lost during the two weeks between acceptance and start date, because most owners think they’re done once the candidate says yes.  This is the perfect time to display the always mindset  I recommend doing a welcome dinner where you meet at a restaurant with the candidate and their spouse/significant other.

A University of Chicago study concluded that similar food consumption leads to increased trust and to increases in cooperative behavior.    Maybe Steve would have returned from his break if I had done a welcome dinner to establish trust.  I should have embraced the always mindset. 



ALWAYS Be Marketing


Several years ago, I worked with a client who experienced a major decrease in business.  He was down 25% in gross sales, and losing money on the bottom line.  

Whenever I asked him about his future, he would spend twenty minutes reminding me about the major fleet account he lost the previous year.  This pattern continued for several weeks until one day out of frustration, I interrupted him in mid-sentence.  

I asked what he had done since the previous call to attract additional fleet business.  All I heard was the sound of silence.   He had allowed a temporary setback to become a permanent excuse.   If you’re ALWAYS marketing, you will sing a different tune, instead of sounding like a broken record. 

The best place to start is with your existing customers.  According to the American Marketing Association, 68% of all business is lost because of a failure to follow-up. 

It’s easier to stay in touch than it is to get in touch.  In other words, if you’re consistently communicating with your customers via social media, text messaging, phone calls, and emails, you stand a greater chance of becoming their shop of choice.

If you’re ALWAYS communicating with the fleets in your area, losing an account will not be as devastating because of the other relationships you’ve developed. 

When was the last time you delivered cookies or donuts? What special promotion have you offered the fleet employees for their personal vehicles?  Have you offered the fleet manager who says he’s loyal to another shop, a $100 credit as a trial gift?    

If you answered YES to all three, you are positioned to bounce back, and you may prevent a setback from happening!


Conclusion


To this day, I wonder what happened to Steve.  I’ll bet he’s working for a shop owner who rebounded from a surprise resignation, by hiring him.   If you embrace the “always mindset”, you can bounce back from your setback as well.  


Sincerely,


Eric M. Twiggs
The Accountability Coach



PS.  Does the thought of suddenly losing your best employee keep you up at night?  Email etwiggs@autotraining.net to receive an “Always Be Hiring Checklist” so that you rest easy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, good or bad, are always welcome.....If you have something to share to can help others please jump in..